Collins Mbesuma Gives Back To His Community By Setting Up A Football Academy


It is very unusual for African footballers to remember where they come from. If they remember, then it's one in a group of 10 players. That one person today is former Zambian international Collins 'Ntofontofo' Mbesuma.

Collins Mbesuma (Photo courtesy: TimesLive)

Mbesuma who is one of the finest strikers to have ever been produced in Zambia has set up a football academy in his home town of Luanshya where he started his football career at Roan United.

See more about Collins Mbesuma on www.kickoff.co.co.za

This football academy is part of the 36 year's old efforts to pay back to the community which made him who he is today.

"This academy is to empower youth you know, to give back to my community and to give back to youth in Zambia," Mbesuma told Kickoff.com

Collins Mbesuma (Photo courtesy: Kickoff.com)

Mbesuma who is in the books of University of Pretoria is Kaiser Chiefs all time goalscoer with 35 goals, a record that is unbeaten in the South African Premier League.

Mbesuma said he decided to set up a football acdemy because of the dwindling football fortunes in his home town.

"I think this is a nice time to do it. I'm still active and I will see year by year. I have to do it because I can see, especially in my home town, the football level went down because I think there's no development there. So I think that forced me to do it," said Mbesuma.

The former Africa Cup of Nation winner said his goal is to help the youths in his community so that they get established.

"For now the plan is just to start you know. What I'm looking to do is just to help the youth... we will see if they establish themselves. There are going to be trials and I think from just a young age, maybe from under eight and go up there," he said.

"Before I even made it and started playing professional football at Roan United back home, I used to even take the kids, like six-year olds, and go and train them you know."

This effort by Mbesuma is worth emulating by other footballers 

1 comment:

Charles Musonda Snr: A Career That Ended In Devastation

The achievements of one Charles Musonda are often ignored and overshadowed by those of legendary Zambian football icon Kalusha Bwalya. But M...